Saturday, November 28, 2009

Sushi Station Fuji Japanese Restaurant

So I've been away for a while, stacking on weight with gross American food; now I'm back; hungry.

I wanted Japanese but I haven't come across too many places in Perth with good, reasonably priced, Japanese food. Shimizu in Floreat is awesome and all you can eat for about $40 a head. But instead we went to Fuji in Victoria Park, and it seems that I forgot that this was not an all you can eat..

We started with sashimi of scallop, kingfish, salmon and tuna. 11 pieces all up, really fresh, but if I was being fussy I would say that they were sliced a bit too thickly. I think they could have turned the 11 pieces into 15 if they'd been sliced better (except the scallops, right, yeah that's kinda obvious).

Next was beef tataki - thinly sliced, seared beef - basically raw cow, serviced with a sesame and spring onion dipping sauce. Really good, but, again, being fussy, we had actually ordered a variation of this that was served with raw egg. Don't think our waitress got that bit. But we forgave her cos she was cool. No joke, she was a Japanese version of Beyonce.

After raw cow without raw egg we had gyoza. Minced pork and vegetables in a lightly fried dumpling. Can't really go wrong with these. But my random thought on the gyoza is that they always seem to serve five pieces. Wherever you go, I bet if you order gyoza, you'll get five pieces. I don't know why. Yeah that was a pretty random thought, huh?

Next was tempura prawns with a bit of tempura fish and vegetables. Some of the best tempura I've had. Yummy big prawns and crispy batter where the oil didn't spurt over your face when you bit into it.

I know we've already had four entrees but just one more. Chicken karage. Japanese KFC. Good stuff.

Finally the main - unagi don. Grilled eel on a bed of rice. Always been a big fan of eel, but usually the portions are small. Here it was about $15 and served in this pretty lunch box thing with lots of rice and two big fillets of eel.

We still had wine left so we had to have another course. Cold soba. This is my favourite Japanese dish that I've ever had, even though it's pretty basic. A big pile of soba noodles with a side thing of some sauce that I have no idea what's in it; lots of spring onion; and lots of wasabi.

By the way, there were two of us. I always wonder why my friends are horrified when they see how much I eat. I guess last night's all I could eat affair kinda explains it.

All up it was $80-ish. It's licensed or BYO; service is good; you can sit at the sushi bar or at one of the traditional Japanese tables. Often a queue to get in, so best to book.

233 Albany Highway, Vic Park. Open Wednesday to Sunday dinner, Wednesday to Friday lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment